Translator

Wednesday 22 January 2014

Sweetheart Frame



                                             Click on image to enlarge 

First of all, I would like to say Hello to the new members who have joined my blog and thanks to everyone for leaving comments on my blog. Each and everyone of them is appreciated.




Inspiration for this project came from watching the Antiques Roadshow programme a while ago. I listened intently to the history behind a Sweetheart Frame. This was given between 2 loved ones as the man would part for battle or war. The one I remember seeing on the show was of a metal frame encased in a leather folder and they explained that when a man left for battle or war these were often exchanged between two sweethearts as a reminder of each other.They would often contain a lock of hair hidden behind the frame and a love poem. The story has remained poignant in my memory and when I saw at Cheery Lynn the challenge Sweethearts it immediately sprung to mind and my crafty head switched on to replicate this




I wanted the outside of my folder to resemble the look of old worn leather. I got a piece of cardboard and using grunge paste stenciled areas and added texture to other parts. I also cut out CL corner dies and glued in shape.






I covered the outside with a layer of black gesso and then started to blend my paints onto it. Once dry I picked up my textures with gilding wax.The keyhole was made from a mixture of gel medium and paint  poured over my stamp. This was then left for 24 hours to dry.I then peeled it off the stamp and highlighted with gilding wax.




To resemble the metal frame and picture inside, I had a family photograph of this young man in uniform, which I thought was perfect for my project. Unfortunately, we are unsure who he is but my mum reckons he is possibly  my Great Great Grandfather. I cut out my CL die and applied Versamark onto it and then embossing powder. If you heat from the back and repeat this process it gives a smoother finish. I carefully cut my photograph out and mounted it onto black card and then onto the frame.




I wanted this side to look like a small collection of memories the sweethearts had collected in their relationship, before they parted. I made my red rose from my CL die and added my Cuties 3 strip around the edges and distressed with ink and my distress tool.



As I was looking at the photo for inspiration I noticed the buttons on his uniform. My dad was a Captain in the Merchant Navy before retiring and he had given me the buttons from his uniform jacket. I decided to make a mould of one of them and then poured utee into it. Once popped out I highlighted with gilding wax. I think the result was fab.... I then placed all my pieces together. If you look closely at the postcard you may notice I had stamped with Old Paper Distress Ink  a small dots stamp. This represented parts of the mildew age marks that were on the frame of the photo I had cut up for my project.



Hope you enjoyed reading my blog and I always look forward to reading your comments.

Julie x 

I wish to enter this into :

http://cheerylynndesigns.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/cheery-lynn-designs-116-sweethearts.html

http://www.theartisticstampercreativeteam.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/january-2014-challenge-love-is-in-air.html

http://wlvc.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/challenge-nr-18-en-random-winnaar.html 
Man Card /Creation.

http://ourcreativecorner6.blogspot.co.at/2014/01/no-more-shopping-sins.html 
I bought the Paper Lace Ribbon on the spine of my project years ago and never used it until now ! 



Product Used : Cheery Lynn dies Sweetheart Frame FRM127, Cuties 3 B151, Miniature Rose B152 and Lace Corner Deco E B165.

Other products used : PaperArtsy paint brown shed, chocolate pudding and little black dress. Black and white gesso, treasure gold, grunge paste,harlequin stencil, 2 part molding putty,maja design vintage summer,woodware envelope punch, heart punch ,black soot and old paper distress ink, Paperartsy minis MN72, crackle stamp, bobunny keyhole stamp, platinum utee, stampendous pearl embossing powder, versamark, archival watering can and various craft stash.







15 comments:

  1. Just gorgeous!!! Love all the details and the heritage style of the project!
    Thank you for joining in on the fun at Cheery Lynn Designs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an amazing project, Julie! I love it! I also love working with images of family members from long ago. That photo is so beautiful, what a handsome young man! I am totally in love with your distressing techniques - how brilliant they are. This is stunning. The mould is a great idea for those precious military buttons! I am so glad you are acquiring more followers because your beautiful work so deserves to be seen. Good luck with this exquisite project! Julie Ann xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's funny - paper lace ribbon was one of the first things I bought when I started blogging and discovering crafty blogland....and I rarely use it honestly. Great to see it used on this awesome make here! It's terrific!

    Thanks for joining us at OurCreativeCorner!

    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This surely tugs at the heartstrings.
    I adore when art tells a story, whether that story be real or fiction so for me this is incredibly special. Also the use of one of Dad's buttons.
    The most wonderful use of packaging to form the base of this.
    Exquisite.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a gorgous creation.....I joined your followers so I'll see al the lovely works from now on.
    Thanx for joining us at WLVC, hugs Plony.

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a gorgeous creation and the frame is stunning.
    thank you for join us at WLVC.
    greetings from Anneke

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous creation! Thank you for sharing your tutorial! Thank you for joining us at Cheery Lynn Challenges

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous project! I love how you used the cuties die flat rather than quilling it! thank you for sharing your tutorial and thank you for joining us at Cheery Lynn Challenges~!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful! Especially love the texture on the cover and the collage arrangement! Chris

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful vintage card, love the embossed frame, looks just like metal. Good luck and thanks for joining in on the fun at Cheery Lynn Designs challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous vintage look, and I love how you found the inspiration for your Sweetheart Frame. Thanks so much for playing along with us at The Artistic Stamper and at Our Creative Corner.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful creation.
    So many beautiful details. It's a Topper.
    Greetings Doris

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous creation! Thank you for joining in The Artistic Stamper challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning piece Julie. It was a pleasure to read your post, and the project itself is a gorgeous marvel filled with wonderful little elements that I am sure were very labour intensive / time consuming e.g. the button mould and the lock done via a stamp. I think we have a shared taste in charms too as I have some of the same. Thank-you for some great tips in there too. I think you are seriously talented at this 'crafting lark'! This is a brilliant work of art. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning. Beautiful details. Thank you for sharing the way you worked. It is very interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I love to read your comments so I know you have stopped by and look forward to visiting your blog.

Julie x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10